I was able to successfully drop my last Yahoo login service today... Well, this has been on the to do list for a while. I do not use Flickr other than to browse photos making it low priority. I only use it to save photos if I find them interesting and track any with me in them. My largest frustration was the need to log into the Yahoo account I created in middle school and only used for Flickr.
I am writing this to help others that are experiencing the same frustration as I did. Having the desire to switch methods, but the search for the instructions of how to ditch the Yahoo login and move to Google for login turning up dead ends. The lack of freedom for a user to choose their login method and switch offerings by such a large company is a poor design as well as a terrible experience for the users to be unable to use the methods and featuers offered to newcomers.
Note: This is how I made the switch, some steps may be unnecessary. I thought it be better to tell all my steps taken and let you tell me if there is something unnecessary instead of being unable to perform the switch.
How To Switch:
Pre-Requisite conditions: The Google account you wish to use is not already associated with a Flickr account.
- Reset the password to your Yahoo account (this disassociated Flickr from my Yahoo Account)
- Go to Flickr's login help site select the "Help by Email" link at the bottom. Provide your Flickr profile URL and username. Ask them to make your Flickr Account "Dangly" so you can switch login methods. Explain that you want to login with your Google account, but due to their method of switching associated Yahoo ID's that you cannot make the switch. I expressed how I was disappointed in the lack of the ability to make the switch on my own. I told them that the option for logging in with Google was not possible at the time that Flickr Required merging with a Yahoo ID and had I had the choice I would have chosen the Google Login. (this is true)
- My first reply was that my issue was being elevated to a senior support specialist and it may be up to 3 days for them to respond.
- Upon getting the reply email from the senior support specialist you should have a link at the bottom that will ask you to setup your Flickr account. Even though they state that you need to associate it with a Yahoo ID, select the Google login method.
- Follow any other steps on the screen and you should now be able to Log into Flickr via Google.
First support email response from Flickr:
The following text is the email the Flickr help senior support specialist sent me.
I hope this was helpful to people wanting to migrate to their preferred login for Flickr.